Adoption applicants must be willing to undergo some degree of scrutiny as it is of the utmost importance to us that we make a great match of new home to adoption Dachshund. Some have been bounced from home to home already or have lived their life until now in a cage as a breeder for a puppy miller, never knowing the kind touch of a human that cares. We want to assure ourselves that this dog will never know what it is to be neglected, abused or abandoned again.
We understand there are many who want to offer a home to one or more of these deserving little dogs but there must be guidelines to follow to insure the safety and future of each one of the fosters that come into our care.
As much as we would like to fill everyone’s desire to save one of the rescues, it just isn’t possible due to geographical difficulties, individual fosters’ needs, and in some cases, the need for patience on the part of potential adopters to wait for just the ‘right’ homeless Dachshund to come to us.
Adoption Policies and Procedures
1) Complete the Adoption Application: If you are interested in adopting one of our dogs, please fill out our adoption application on this website.
2) Reference Check: Once we receive your application, we will then check references. We ask for information about your veterinarian and for a personal reference to obtain information about you (and your family) as potential dachshund pet owners.
3) Home Visit: New Mexico Dachshund Rescue (NMDR) then will conduct a home visit.
4) Creating the perfect match: Once we have your information, we will take into consideration the dog you would like to adopt to make sure it is a good match for your home and family. Please keep in mind that the welfare of the rescue is always our top priority. We hope to create the best matches between a foster and an applicant in order to provide the best home environment for each dog.We try to fill applications on a first-come, first-served basis, and although you may have chosen an “Available” dog from our web site, that dog may have an application pending. We also often have a waiting list, and you may be placed on that list.
5) Adoption Fee: adoptions average $275.00 with occasional exceptions for a ‘senior’; this helps to defray the Veterinary expenses incurred by our rescues. Some have extensive medical needs that must be tended to prior to becoming available to the public. All our rescues are vet checked, updated on their shots, spayed/neutered, heartworm tested and evaluated in a foster home by our members.Please see our Adoption Fees page for further explanation.
6) Transport to the New Home: Once the adoption process is complete, we’ll help you coordinate the transportation of your new family member to his/her new home.
We do not do out of state adoptions with the exception of southwest Texas and Arizona. This is due to the problems associated with our ability to do the required home visit and the retrieval of the rescue in the unusual case the placement does not work out. We apoligize for any inconvenience this may cause any one. There are national rescue groups that can assist or possibly rescue groups within your home state. If you need out of state assistance, you can look up Coast to Coast Dachshund Rescue, Almost Home Dachshund Rescue or Dachshund Rescue of North America on the internet.
We do NOT adopt a dog out as a gift for someone else.